Focused landing pages are some of the best healthcare digital marketing tools for converting your service line prospects into qualified leads.
By enabling marketers to engage consumers, gather information and track behavior, a healthcare landing page bridges the gap between awareness and goal conversion. This can involves a top-of-the-funnel call to action like downloading a guide or completing a health risk assessment, or a bottom-of-the-funnel action like scheduling an appointment.
There are many best practices for landing pages in the e‑commerce and retail spaces where consumers are looking to purchase specific products with short decision cycles. However, the healthcare journey is riskier and more complicated than simply weighing the pros and cons of quality and price. These decisions can involve intense emotion and increased risk. As a result, healthcare marketers need to provide more research and relevant content than a traditional, e‑commerce style landing page to properly engage and nurture potential patients.
No matter the choice being made, the patient’s decision-making process (or patient’s journey) contains three stages that your digital content needs to address:
The key difference between the patient and consumer journey is that people spend a lot more time and energy on the first two stages when making a decision about their health. Formatting your campaign accordingly—to address the potential patient’s specific needs—will lead to increased conversions on your landing pages.
By creating different touch points throughout the decision-making process, a digital healthcare campaign can help guide potential patients through the different stages until they are ready to make a decision and schedule an appointment.
Types of Conversion for Each Stage of the Patient’s Journey
The awareness stage should provide information about symptoms and how they impact the consumer’s life. Quizzes or assessments are effective conversion methods for people in this stage, helping visitors learn about their problems and realize they should take further action.
For the consideration stage, inform people who have decided to take further action why they should choose your facility and providers, as well as what treatments are available. Having the consumer sign up for an event that offers additional insight is a valuable conversion method. Seminars and webinars are great ways for potential patients to meet clinical staff, learn more about a service and become more comfortable with your facility.
Finally, people are informed and can enter the decision-making stage. At this point, you can invite healthcare landing page visitors to request an appointment directly on your site as the final conversion.
Healthcare Landing Page Best Practices
To ensure each conversion path is clear and will compel visitors to take action, here are some best practices to follow:
- From the ad itself to the content and imagery on the landing page, ensure all messaging aligns to increase relevance, reduce confusion and prompt visitors to take the next step on the journey.
- Make sure your call to action (CTA) is clear and prominent. Ensure the CTA is positioned “above the fold”—meaning someone does not need to scroll down the page to see it.
- Use gated content (hidden behind a form) to generate and convert prospects into patients. This is middle- and bottom-of-the-funnel content that is focused on a specific topic (e.g. Preparing for Bariatric Surgery) and features original research or insights that visitors receive in exchange for providing their contact information.
- Each health landing page should have a single purpose and focused message. Having multiple messages and CTAs will cause a distraction, leading people to bounce off the page without completing a conversion.
- Be succinct and avoid unnecessary content.
- Use targeted search and social media ads to promote your landing page.
- Segment the targeting strategy by user type. For example, don’t send content about men’s health to the women on your list.
- Clearly display your phone number (preferably a trackable phone number) and contact information. Make it as easy as possible for a visitor to reach you without needing to search for a phone number.
Following these tips will optimize your landing page health and boost overall campaign performance.
Note: This post was originally published in June 2016. It has been updated to reflect the latest research, data and recommendations.
Let’s Continue the Conversation!
Need help planning and executing campaigns that will convert potential patients?