Focused landing pages are some of the best healthcare digital marketing tools for converting your website’s visitors into measurable leads.
By enabling marketers to gather information and track behavior, a healthcare landing page bridges the gap between making consumers aware of your organization's brand and nurturing them to schedule an appointment.
There are many best practices for landing pages in the B2C space where consumers are looking to purchase a specific product.
E-commerce, retail-style landing pages focus on straightforward sales processes with short conversion cycles. For example, an advertisement (print or digital form) highlights a product of interest for the potential consumer. One of the many examples of this process has the consumer see that ad in a magazine or on social media, click on that ad, which brings them to the landing page to complete a transaction. This is e-commerce in its simplest form.
While the e-commerce methodology yields results for purchasing tangible products, healthcare decision-making is riskier and more complicated than simply weighing the pros and cons of quality and price. These decisions can involve intense emotion and increased risk. Healthcare marketers need to provide more research and relevant content than a traditional, e-commerce style landing page to properly nurture potential patients.
No matter the choice being made, the patient’s decision-making process (or patient’s journey) contains three stages that your digital content needs to address:
The key difference between the patient and consumer journey is that people spend a lot more time and energy on the first two stages when making a decision about their health. Formatting your campaign accordingly—to address the potential patient's specific needs—will lead to increased conversions on your landing pages.
By creating different touch points throughout the decision-making process, a digital healthcare campaign can help guide potential patients through the different stages until they are ready to make a decision and schedule an appointment.
Types of Conversion for Each Stage of the Patient’s Journey
The awareness stage should provide information about symptoms and how they impact the consumer’s life. Quizzes or assessments are effective conversion methods for people in this stage, helping visitors learn about their problems and realize they should take further action.
For the consideration stage, inform people who have decided to take further action why they should choose your facility and providers, as well as what treatments are available. Having the consumer sign up for an event that offers additional insight is a valuable conversion method. Seminars and webinars are great ways for potential patients to meet clinical staff, learn more about a service and become more comfortable with your facility.
Finally, people are informed and can enter the decision-making stage. At this point, you can invite landing page visitors to request an appointment directly on your site as the final conversion.
Healthcare Landing Page Best Practices
To ensure each conversion path is clear and will compel visitors to take action, here are some best practices to follow:
- From the ad itself to the content and imagery on the landing page, ensure all messaging aligns to reduce confusion for visitors and prompt them to convert more easily.
- Seek out best landing page templates and best practices in creating a landing page to entire the layout aligns with industry standards.
- Make sure your call to action (CTA) is clear and prominent. Ensure the CTA is positioned “above the fold”—meaning someone does not need to scroll down the page to see it.
- Each landing page should have a single purpose and focused message. Having multiple messages and CTAs will cause a distraction, leading people to bounce off the page without completing a conversion.
- Be succinct and avoid unnecessary content.
- Explore targeted strategies to promote your landing page.
- Segment the targeting strategy by user type. For example, don’t send content about men’s health to the women on your list.
- Clearly display your phone number (preferably a trackable phone number) and contact information. Make it as easy as possible for a visitor to reach you without needing to search for a phone number.
Note: This post was previously published on 01/15/16 and has been updated to reflect the most recent research, data and recommendations.
Let’s Continue the Conversation!
Need help planning and executing campaigns that will convert potential patients?